Madhya Pradesh Government has launched “Yuva Swabhiman Yojana. It is a programme which is internally being termed as ‘urban MGNREGA’. The programme would not be a simple dole. The government has linked the programme to provision of state services. The YSY has the following salient features:
• The state government would first register unemployed youth through a missed call service, A beneficiary would give a missed call to a number provided by the government and would register himself.
• On a designated date, the beneficiary would go to a centre to give all documents for verification. If found eligible, he or she would be able to get a minimum income of Rs. 4,000 per month and 100 days of guaranteed employment.
• The government would train the youth and involve them in provision of state services like water bill collection or electricity meter readings and property tax camps.
• This would mean that if private contractors were involved and pocketed a certain fee from bill, it would now go to unemployed youth who would get skill training on the job as well.
• Madhya Pradesh also has a proper technical education module which would be given to the youth.