1. Which one of the following does not find mention in the Preamble to the
(A) Dignity of the individual (B) Dignity of the Constitution
(C) Fraternity (D) Unity and integrity of the Nation
2. After independence, the first State organised on the basis of language is—
(A) Tamilnadu (B) Kerala
(C) Karnataka (D) Andhra Pradesh
3. The authority empowered to make laws in respect to the matters not included
in any of the three lists is—
(A) State Legislatures (B) Parliament
(C) Supreme Court (D) President
4. Writs can be issued for the enforcement of Fundamental Rights by—
(A) District Courts (B) President
(C) The Supreme Court only (D) Both the Supreme Court and the High Courts
5. The Impeachment of the President of India can be initiated in—
(A) Either House of Parliament (B) In a joint sitting of both Houses of
(C) The Lok Sabha alone (D) The Rajya Sabha alone
6. The Rajya Sabha has equal powers with the Lok Sabha—
(A) In the matter of creating New All India Services
(B) In amending the constitution
(C) In the removal of government
(D) In making cut motions
7. Which of the following writs is issued by an appropriate judicial body in
order to free a person who has been illegally detained ?
(A) Quo Warranto (B) Mandamus
(C) Certiorari (D) Habeas Corpus
8. The quorum required in the Rajya Sabha is—
(A) 25 (B) 50 (C) 100 (D) 126
9. According to the Constitution, which one of the following rights cannot be
taken away during emergency ?
(A) Right to speak (B) Right to freedom of movement
(C) Right to personal liberty (D) Right to organise meetings
10. Which one of the following is not an objective of the Directive Principles
of State Policy ?
(A) To establish a welfare State (B) To ensure socio-economic justice
(C) To establish a religious State (D) To establish a secular State
11. Judicial activism is related to—
(A) Committed Judiciary (B) Public interest litigation
(C) Judicial Review (D) Judicial Independence
12. The Constitution makes allocation of seats among different states in the—
(A) Lok Sabha (B) Rajya Sabha
(C) Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha (D) Constitution is silent on this issue
13. In India, the right against exploitation implies—
(A) Prohibition of traffic in human beings and forced labour
(B) Prohibition of harmful employment of children in factories
(C) Both the above
(D) None of the above
14. Who among the following makes appointments to All India Services ?
(A) The President of India (B) Parliament
(C) The Council of Ministers (D) The U.P.S.C.
15. Who termed the Indian Constitution as ‘quasi-federal’?
(A) K. C. Wheare (B) M. V. Paylee
(C) D. D. Basu (D) Ivor Jennings
16. Freedom of Inter-State Trade and Commerce is regulated by the Indian
Constitution under Article—
(A) 19(1)(d-e) (B) Article 301 (C) Article 301–307 (D) Combination of all the
17. As per the provisions of Article 25, which one of the following is not
mentioned as a ground to impose restriction on the right to freedom of religion
(A) Health (B) Public order (C) Morality (D) Contempt of the court
18. Which one of the following is the characteristics of a pressure group ?
(A) It tries to capture power
(B) It contests elections
(C) It pressurises the government to fulfil public interest
(D) It pressurises the government to fulfil its own specific interests
19. When the President submits his resignation to the Vice-President, who is
informed first by the Vice-President ?
(A) The Prime Minister (B) The Chief Justice
(C) The Chief Election Com-missioner (D) The Speaker of the Lok Sabha
20. The Chairman of which of the following members of Parliamentary Commitees is
appointed from the members of the opposition party ?
(A) Rules Committee (B) Committee on Parliamentary Privileges
(C) Public Accounts Committee (D) Estimates Committee
21. Which Constitutional Amendment Act has provided for compulsory education for
children from 6 years to 14 years of age ?
(A) 86th (B) 92nd (C) 91st (D) 88th
22. Who has the power to regulate the right of citizenship of the Indian people
(A) The President (B) Parliament
(C) The Council of Ministers (D) The Election Commission
23. The power to make rules for the transaction of the business of the
Government of India and for the allocation of business among Ministers lies with
(A) Parliament (B) President
(C) Prime Minister (D) Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
24. According to Article 243 of the Constitution, the Panchayats at the
intermediate level may not be constituted in a State which has a population—
(A) Not exceeding 30 lakhs (B) Not exceeding 40 lakhs
(C) Not exceeding 50 lakhs (D) Not exceeding 20 lakhs
25. A major portion of the Constitution of India is derived from the—
(A) Constitution of U.K. (B) Constitution of U.S.A.
(C) Government of India Act, 1935 (D) Indian Independence Act, 1947
26. A Bill passed by the Legislative Assembly of a State can be delayed by the
Legislative Council for a maximum period of—
(A) One month (B) Two months
(C) Three months (D) Six months
27. Majority of members of the Rajya Sabha are—
(A) Elected by the State Legislatures (B) Elected by the Local bodies
(C) Elected by the People (D) Nominated by the President
28. Which of the following features of federalism is not found in the Indian
(A) Written Constitution (B) Independent Judiciary
(C) Dual Judiciary (D) Representation of States in Parliament
29. Who was the first Speaker of the Lok Sabha ?
(A) G. S. Dhillon (B) G. V. Mavlangkar
(C) H. N. Kunzru (D) Baliram Bhagat
30. Who was the first leader of opposition, as recognised by the government in
the Lok Sabha ?
(A) Indira Gandhi (B) Atal Behari Vajpayee
(C) Somnath Chaterjee (D) S. B. Chavan