1. Which one of the following regions did not constitute a separate suba (province) under Akbar ?
(A) Orissa (B) Bengal (C) Bihar (D) Awadh
2. Sayana is associated with—
(A) The Chola Kingdom (B) Vijayanagar Kingdom
(C) Hoyasala Kingdom (D) Bahmani Kingdom
3. Who among the following Hindu Painters was sent by Jehangir to make a
portrait of Shah Abbas I of Persia ?
(A) Basawan (B) Bishan Das (C) Dasrath (D) Manohar
4. In which year was the decree called ‘Mahzar’ issued during Akbar’s reign ?
(A) 1560 A.D. (B) 1572 A.D. (C) 1576 A.D. (D) 1579 A.D.
5. Which one of the following was not included in the ‘Asta Pradhan’ of Shivaji
(A) Sumant (B) Majmudar (C) Vakiyanavis (D) Vakeel
6. When was Bombay transferred to the East India Company by Charles II ?
(A) 1662 A.D. (B) 1664 A.D. (C) 1666 A.D. (D) 1668 A.D.
7. The Dutch established their first settlement in Bengal at—
(A) Calcutta (B) Chinsura (C) Serampur (D) Balasore
8. Who is credited with the following statement regarding the outbreak of the
Revolt of 1857
“The Meerut outbreak was sudden and short-lived like a summer gale” ?
(A) S. N. Sen (B) S. B. Chaudhari (C) V. D. Savarkar (D) R. C. Majumdar
9. By which of the following treaties did the Peshwa accept the Subsidiary
Alliance with the British ?
(A) Treaty of Purandhar (B) Treaty of Bassein
(C) Treaty of Salbai (D) Treaty of Surji Arjungaon
10. Which of the following native states was first to conclude Subsidiary
Alliance with East India Company ?
(A) Avadh (B) Mewar (C) Mysore (D) Hyderabad
11. Nearly one third of soldiers of the famous Bengal Army had their homes in—
(A) Punjab (B) Avadh (C) Bengal (D) Maharashtra
12. Which one of the following native states was annexed by the British on the
basis of the Doctrine of Lapse ?
(A) Avadh (B) Punjab (C) Jhansi (D) Mysore
13. Which part of India was most affected by the Revolution of 1857 ?
(A) Punjab (B) Maharashtra (C) Avadh (D) Madras
14. Who among the following is remembered for the annulment of the Partition of
(A) Lord Curzon (B) Lord Minto (C) Lord Hardinge (D) Lord Chelmsford
15. In which of the following Sessions of the Indian National Congress the
‘drain theory’ was formally accepted ?
(A) Benaras session, 1905 (B) Calcutta session, 1906
(C) Surat session, 1907 (D) None of the above
16. Who among the following was the President of All India Trade Union Congress
held at Nagpur ?
(A) Chaman Lal (B) Jawaharlal Nehru (C) Krishna Menon (D) N. M. Joshi
17. The book entitled ‘Springing tiger’ is a biography of—
(A) Bhagat Singh (B) Chandrashekhar Azad
(C) Subhas Chandra Bose (D) Shyamji Krishna Verma
18. The venue of holding this Second Round Table Conference at London was—
(A) St. James Palace (B) Kingsley Palace (C) Buckingham Palace (D) 10, Downing
19. From which country of the Asian Continent was Bogazkui inscription
(A) India (B) Iran (C) Syria (D) Turkey
20. The Rigvedic Bharatas are associated with—
(A) The Indus Valley (B) The Saraswati Valley
(C) The Sutlej Valley (D) The Parushni Valley
21. In the Pasupata religion Siva is said to be Lord of Pasu. Which one among
the following stands for Pasu ?
(A) Lion (B) Bull (C) Parvati (D) Jiva
22. Which of the following is not a Buddhist Concept ?
(A) Astik-aya (B) Dharmakaya (C) Nirmanakaya (D) Sambhogakaya
23. In which of the following periods did ring wells come into prevalence for
the first time ?
(A) Mauryan (B) Sunga (C) Kushan (D) Gupta
24. Towards which of the following sects did Dasaratha had a leaning ?
(A) Buddhism (B) Jainism (C) Ajivakas (D) Lokayata
25. Who of the following was responsible for the collection of taxes at the
intermediate level of administration between the district and the village ?
(A) Gopa (B) Pulisa (C) Sthanika (D) Prativedaka
26. The Kushans issued coins of—
(A) Gold only (B) Gold and Silver (C) Gold and Copper (D) Gold, Silver and
27. Who among the following Dharmasastra writers disapproved the custom of Sati
declaring it as an act of suicide ?
(A) Angiras (B) Medhatithi (C) Usana (D) Visnu
28. The rulers of which of the following dynasties were characterized by their
(A) Maurya (B) Sunga (C) Kanva (D) Satavahana
29. The transformation of the ancient Indian Society into Medieval society was
brought about mainly by—
(A) the system of land-grants (B) the decline in the position of upper caste
(C) the increase in the religious activities (D) the decrease in surplus food
30. Which one of the following assemblies protected the interests of traders
under the Chola administration ?
(A) Mahasabha (B) Perunguri (C) Kuri (D) Nagaram
Free Online Indian History Quiz Questions and Answers