1. Which of the following Sultans assumed the title of Caliph himself ?
(A) Balban (B) Alauddin Khalji
(C) Qutbuddin Mubarak Shah Khalji (D) Mohammad bin Tughlaq
2. Which one of the following Sufi orders laid great stress on practicing mystic
(A) Chisti (B) Suharawardi (C) Qadiri (D) Naqshbandi
3. The ‘Razmanama’ which was compiled by several Persian scholars was a
(A) Panchatantra (B) Ramayana (C) Mahabharata (D) Rigveda
4. Which was the chief or main region of copper mines in Mughal period ?
(A) Bengal (B) Rajasthan (C) Agra (D) Bihar
5. Who of the following had said that Victory of Plassey was a victory of
(A) Orme (B) H. H. Dodwell (C) Lord Clive (D) P. E. Roberts
6. Name the English man who tried to obtain from Akbar a Firman for trade in
(A) Ralph Fitch (B) John Mildenhall (C) Sir Thomas Roe (D) Thomas Stephens
7. When did the Marathas capture Salsette and Bassein from the Portuguese ?
(A) 1695 A.D. (B) 1713 A.D. (C) 1720 A.D. (D) 1739 A.D.
8. The Diwani right of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa was obtained by the English East
India Company under the treaty of—
(A) Alinagar (B) Faizabad (C) Allahabad (D) Benaras
9. Who among the following historians has remarked that the Government of Bengal
between the period 1765–1772 was a robber state ?
(A) G. W. Forrest (B) Lord Macaulay (C) K. M. Panikkar (D) Nand Lal Chatterji
10. On what ground was Avadh annexed into British Empire ?
(A) Doctrine of Lapse (B) Alleged misgovernment
(C) Failure to pay subsidy (D) Maintenance of relations with foreign powers
11. By the enactment of British Parliament when did the East India Company cease
to be a trading Company ?
(A) 1784 A.D. (B) 1833 A.D. (C) 1813 A.D. (D) 1773 A.D.
12. In which of the following regions Mahalwari System of Revenue Settlement was
(A) Bengal (B) Bombay (C) Madras (D) North Western Provinces
13. When did Babu Kunwar Singh fight his last battle against the British ?
(A) September 1857 (B) November 1857 (C) February 1858 (D) April 1858
14. Kumaran Asan is associated with the social renaissance of—
(A) Kerala (B) Tamil Nadu (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) None of the above
15. During which of the following period the Congress had best of relationship
with the Muslim League ?
(A) 1906 – 1916 (B) 1916 – 1922 (C) 1922 – 1928 (D) 1928 – 1934
16. Who was the first Indian woman to preside over the Indian National Congress
(A) Rajkumari Amrit Kaur (B) Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit
(C) Aruna Asaf Ali (D) Sarojini Naidu
17. All the hymns related to one of the following Gods are in one separate
mandala or book of the Rigveda. Who is the God ?
(A) Agni (B) Varuna (C) Indra (D) Soma
18. The Harappan site, where the citadel and the lower town, both are fortified
(A) Harappa (B) Mohenjodaro (C) Kalibanga (D) None of the above
19. With which of the following vedic sacrifices was the drink of Sura
(A) Agnistoma (B) Rajasuya (C) Sautramani (D) Vajapeya
20. The Abhidhamma treatise Kath-a vatthu was written by—
(A) Mah-a kassapa (B) Mahinda (C) Milinda (D) Moggaliputta Tissa
21. Who of the following is known as a Jain scholar ?
(A) Asvaghose (B) Hemchandra (C) Dharmakirti (D) Diwakaramitra
22. How many modes of devotion (Bhakti) are mentioned in Bhagawatism ?
(A) Nine (B) Ten (C) Eleven (D) Eight
23. Who among the following classical writers said that Chandragupta Maurya
overran the whole of India with an army of six lac soldiers ?
(A) Herodotus (B) Pliny (C) Plutarch (D) Ptolemy
24. Who among the following Mauryan rulers was killed by his Commander-in-Chief
(A) Dasaratha (B) Kun-ala (C) Samprati (D) Brihadratha
25. Who had expressed the view that the cotton cloth worn by Indians had a
brighter white colour than any cotton found elsewhere ?
(A) Alexander (B) Megasthenese (C) Nearchus (D) Pliny
26. The Vallabhi era is identical with—
(A) The Vikrama era (B) The Gupta era (C) The Harsha era (D) None of the above
27. Who among the following authors is known for his satires exposing the evils
of contemporary society ?
(A) Ksemendra (B) Pravarsena (C) Sriharsa (D) Visakhadutta
28. Which Chola king is credited with the first conquest of Maldives ?
(A) Rajaraja (B) Rajendra I (C) Rajadhiraja (D) Rajendra II
29. Which of the following Indian Kings defeated Mohammad Ghori first ?
(A) Prithviraja Chauhan (B) Jayachandra (C) Vidyadhara Chandella (D) Bhima II
30. The coins with the figure of Laksmi were issued by—
(A) Mohammad Ghori (B) Iltutmish (C) Mohammad Tughlaq (D) None of the above
Ebola fighters named Time's 'Person of the Year 2014'